Gallery of Addresses
What's in the gallery?
Contained in this gallery are images of roads, streets and thoroughfares within the area defined as Sprowston in its widest sense. This is necessary as in 1907 the City of Norwich annexed a considerable area, despite this change many inhabitants still considered themselves Sprowston Residents. To complicate matters further the civil boundaries are not the same as the ecclesiastical. If you can help fill in any missing information we would love to hear from you via the contact page. Contact Us
Streets, Roads & Thoroughfares
Allens Avenue in the 1930s
Allens Avenue photo taken in 2015
Allens Lane taken in the 1930s, like many roads in the parish this was not adopted hence its unmade state, building was still in progress on the individual plots hence the mix of styles.
Allens Lane as it was in 2015, taken from approximately the same position as the 1930s photo, the telephone wire post is still prominent even after 70+ years.
The Sheltered Housing at the end Coughtrey Close in the early 2000s.
Sprowston Road thought to be taken in the 1930s The road going off to the right is Black Horse Opening.
Older style 1930s built bungalows on Corbet Avenue as they appeared in the early 2000s
The Police Station built on the Wroxham Road in the 1960s?
Bewit Road from Linacre Avenue 2015.
Blue Boar Lane. The change in road layout made the Blue Boar PH end blocked off and the new link road became part of a housing development.
Salhouse Road from Heartsease airfield view 1953 (Photo Geo Plunkett)
The junction of Sprowston/Silver & Denmark Road looking towards Wroxham Road in 1945. Taken for the Norwich Plan of 1945 this was to be the way to the broads.
Blue Boar Lane in winter 1980?Taken from near the garden centre.
Blue Boar Lane in winter 1980?
Flooded Rosemary Road, delivery by tradesmen was difficult as in the 1950s this road was still unadopted.
Wroxham Road in the early 2000s, these houses were built of local red bricks.
Mousehold Lane as it was until its widening in the 1960s
Leverson Road in the early 2000s
School Lane in the 1930s.
Wroxham Road in the 1930s.
Sprowston Road looking towards county from outside Harrisons Corn Store in early 1930s
Look towards Wroxham on Sprowston Road in 1945. Pet food and animal feed shop adjacent to Cobb Row. A person with pram is near junc with Wall Road. Note all street furniture painted white for blackout conditions during the recent war.
Junction of Sprowston Road / Silver Road showing tram shed offices as retail premises. Taken early 2000s.
Mousehold Lane looking towards Heartsease Lane Boulton & Paul Hangar on corner. 1930s
Sprowston Road looking towards Wroxham 2015.
Wroxham Road looking toward Norwich from near Rangoon Close. 2010s
Resurfacing Sprowston Road in the early 1950s corn store, bakery and garage visible in the background.
Moore Avenue before the Cherry trees were removed in the 1990s to prevent damage to the footpaths.
The Racecourse Inn, Salhouse Road in the early 2000s. The building had originally been Sprowston Grange before becoming The Washington, The Grange before taking on its present guise.
The Vicarage Wroxham Road. 1990s
Senior Citizens Club on Wroxham Road. In the 2000s, before political correctness it had been built as and called Sprowston Old Folks Welfare Club
Yaxleys Garage on Wroxham Road in the 1950s. The white gatepost just to the right of the petrol pump is the gateway to the vicarage.
No 1 Glenburn Avenue, on the corner of Albion Drive. Re Thatched in 2009.
Aldi Store in 2015, where the Sprowston Road Garage later BP Garage / Filling Station had stood opposite Shipfields. On the grassed area on the right had stood the Methodist Chapel.
Gurney Estate surveyed their properties in 1906 this Church Farm Farmhouse – Church Lane as it was then. The property is still extant although now in Church Green and much modernised.
The Old Vicarage 55, Wroxham Road in the early 2000s. The tithe deeds are supposed to be in the custody of the guardians of Queen Ann's Bounty.