Salhouse Road in the 19th Century.
In the early nineteenth century, Salhouse Road was a completely rural thoroughfare although towards the end of the century this was to change when a large area became used as a cavalry ground, however, in the early 20th century Salhouse Road seemed to be a road that people avoided, this reluctance in all probability as it was the site for the city's isolation hospital.
Greenborough Farm as Isolation Hospital (Smallpox Only)
Extracts from the report of the Health Committee upon a proposed Agreement for the Reception of Patients from the District of St. Faiths into the Small-pox Hospital at Greenborough Farm, July 1901 (NRO N/TC 50/23) The Council in 1899 applied to the Local Government Board for sanction to borrow £311,500 for the enlargement of the Isolation Hospital, and the Board only sanctioned the loan upon an undertaking that cases of small-pox should not be isolated in any building in the Hospital site at Bowthorpe Road. This undertaking was given by the council on 17th October 1899, and as a consequence, the Health Committee were compelled to provide accommodation for the treatment of small-pox patients elsewhere. The Committee had great difficulty in finding a suitable site, but ultimately the council purchased the Greenborough Farm situate on the Salhouse Road in the parish of Sprowston.
Key points 1. At a local Enquiry the Chairman and clerk of St. Faith’s District Council said would not oppose application provided the City would come to terms for the admission to the Hospital of patients for the district – suggested the Parish of Sprowston should have use of the Hospital free of cost and that the rest of the district should pay for each case treated. 2. The Town Clerk said they would treat the District Council with courtesy, but would hesitate a long time before giving them a right to send patients to be maintained at the City’s cost. 3. A meeting of the parties agreed to advise the two Authorities that St. Faith’s District patients should be treated at the proposed Hospital on payment by St. Faith’s of £10 each case to include all charges including use of the small-pox carriage but not horse hire or funeral expenses. 4. The District Council agreed. The Health Committee of the City wanted agreement for entry of those from Catton, Hellesdon and Sprowston only. 5. The Loan was sanctioned by the Local Government Board without reference to the request of St. Faith’s District Council regarding the admission of patients. 6. S.F.D.C. wrote to L.G.B. with a statement from their point of view. The Request from the L.G.B. to the Town Clerk had not met with response. In June 1901 the L.G.B. was pressing the City for an answer and the booklet was produced to set down suggestions. Proposed:
- 1. The Town Council [i.e. the City] would adopt and furnish the buildings at their own cost.
- 2. Would receive cases from S.F.D.C. on the following conditions
- (a) Hospital under control of Health Committee of the T.C.
- (b) If small-pox was in St. Faith’s and not in the City, they [Town Council] would accept and provide all medical/nursing requirements for patients up to 22.
- (c) If small-pox was in both City and S.F.D.C. acceptance as cases were conveyed. The Town Council to provide medical and nursing care etc. S.F.D.C. to pay a proportionate part of the cost.
- (d) If the total was more than 22 emergency accommodation to be provided [tents etc.]
- (e) S.F.D.C. to pay funeral or reclothing expenses of District patients
- (f) Medical Attendance would initially be the City’s Medical Officer, at reasonable charge.
- (g) S.F.D.C. to have the use of the small-pox carriage if its absence was not detrimental to the welfare of the city.
- (h) If in the opinion of the M.O. no further patients could safely be treated, the Town
Council would be at liberty to refuse S.F.D.C. patients.
[there are marginal notes throughout from S.F.D.C.]
Much of the land which has now become the Heartsease Estate had originally been a cavalry ground but with the advent of World War I it became an Aerodrome. Not only were there the associated buildings but the firms of Bolton and Paul and Barnard's had manufacturing facilities for both aircraft and the war effort. Whilst some of these buildings have been lost during redevelopment many of the original buildings are still in use a century later. Until the city council took over the land which had originally been the airfield and converted it into a housing development there with minimal residential property on Salhouse Road with most of the development taking place on side roads. With recent developments in the area has become virtually all retail or industrial in character.