Dove Public House

From Sprowston Heritage Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Dove Public House

The Dove Public House was another example in Sprowston on the licensed premises owner also being a brick maker adjacent to the brickyards businesses they owned. From that Taverham District Licence Register the owner was one Henry Bacon of Sprowston in 1872 also registered as a brick maker at this time. When he died in 1878 the ownership passed to his wife Elizabeth but by 1887 Morgans Brewery are show is the owner's. One George Jarmy was registered as the licensee in 1883 although only a short time, was this a relative of Thomas Jarmy, brick and tile maker. Perhaps he took over as his predecessor Daniel Shorten had been summonsed and convicted of being open during prohibited hours, being fined 20 shillings +13 shillings costs. The police recommended that the Dove’s license should not be renewed at the 1908 licensing session. Stating “That it was not required for the needs of the neighbourhood.This decision was upheld by the Compensation Authority meetings of 21st and 23rd June 1909. Bringing about the closure after which the premises became a residential dwelling now surrounded by the recent housing development of “Dovedale” being a reminder of the public house that once stood on the site.